This poor post has been sitting in my drafts FOREVER. B and I took on this project when we found out I was pregnant, and I was adamant about not moving. Our one and only guest room was going to be transformed into the nursery, so with the addition of a baby to the family and family no doubt wanting to come and visit, we were going to need a room for them to stay.
Enter our crappy, unfinished, I-will-always-flood-when-it-rains basement. There was so much space down there that we were just not using wisely – mainly because it would take on an inch or two of water each and every time it would rain.
We finally hired a professional to come and fix our flooding problem. Granted, we did half ass it and only took care of it in the part of the basement that we were going to use as the guest room. B put up a drop ceiling, and we used ceramic tile that looks like wood for the floor. B built a step up to the door completely out of wood. It sure is nice to have such a handy dude for a husband. Here’s how it turned out.
We found the shutters for the headboard at a local salvage shop. We spray painted them to match the turquoise in the comforter, and then B attached them all together with a couple 2x4s. They aren’t attached to the bed – they just sit on the floor behind the bed.
The dresser is an old hand-me-down. I believe it was my great grandmother’s — we painted it white a while ago and added the fleur-de-lis drawer pulls that we got from Hobby Lobby — also spray painted turquoise. We got the area rug from TJ Maxx for $30, and it is the softest rug ever. The top of the dresser is decorated in family photos.
We added a little coffee bar to the empty nook. This is still partially unfinished as we are looking for something to cover the fuse box. The table, B made completely out of leftover wood. I love it.
The pic is a little dark, but this is the door to the backyard — as the guests can have their own entrance if they want to come and go as they please. They are decorated on each side with bookshelves that we got from Home Depot for about $15 each when they were on sale. They were really easy to put together, and housed all of our books with room to add.
The little desk area — which is still mostly undone. This part wasn’t super important to get done, so it just kind of hangs out for right now. Clearly at some point, I’m going to want to do it all Pinterest-y with gold prints and what not. But for now, this will have to do. Not like I’m doing a whole lot of hanging out in the basement anyway.
So there ya have it — it was really fun to do this project together. It took a lot of weekends and a lot of work, but we think it came together pretty well!